Refund of Teacher Retirement System (TRS) Contributions

Former university employees may request a refund of TRS retirement contributions if all employment with the university ceases. Complete the TRS 6 Form, Application for Refund, have it notarized, and send it directly to TRS. Payroll Services will electronically certify termination after the final deposit or adjustment has been reported to TRS.

Per TRS regulations on Eligibility for Withdrawal of Member Contributions, Payroll Services cannot certify an employee's termination until all employment with the university ceases, regardless of the position held with the employer.

For additional information about this process, including eligibility rules, options to consider, federal income tax implications, and frequently asked questions, please see the Teacher Retirement System of Texas brochure for Requesting a TRS Refund (PDF).



Last updated 11/8/2018