Social Security Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens

Applying for a Social Security Number

All non-U.S. citizens who do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) that will be employed by The University of Texas at Austin must apply for a number with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The Austin SSA office is located at 1029 Camino La Costa. The SSA advises that individuals wait at least 10 days from their arrival in the U.S. before applying for a number. Additional information about the process is available on the UT Texas Global website


Temporary SSN Assignment

For nonresident employees who do not have an SSN at the time they begin work, a temporary Social Security Number will be assigned before payroll payments are made. Employees are still responsible for applying for a permanent SSN with the SSA at the appropriate time in order to provide their actual SSN to Payroll Services as soon as possible. If the SSN is not received in a timely manner, Payroll Services may require proof of the application.


Receipt of SSN

Upon receipt of the Social Security Number card, the employee should immediately enter the number directly in Workday, via the Change My Government ID task. If the employee changes their existing SSN in Workday, they will be prompted with instructions to provide proof to Payroll Services. Copies of SSN cards or other SSN related information should not be emailed as attachments. 

After the SSN has been verified by Payroll Services and the university records have been updated, the number will subsequently be corrected with the applicable state and federal reporting agencies. The employee’s Payment Election can also be changed to direct deposit if desired, as long as the Glacier Nonresident Tax Compliance form requirements have been met.


Last updated 11/22/2023