Temporary Guidelines for Workers Outside the US

These guidelines are applicable through August 31, 2021 only. Employees who have not been previously approved by their Dean or VP to work permanently outside the U.S. in order to fill a critical business need should return to their normally approved work location by August 31, 2021.


Previous Employment

Individuals who have previously had an employment relationship with the university, but are temporarily unable to return to the United States as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, will be permitted to continue working for the university as long as they still have a valid work authorization.  They should ensure that all of their contact information is up to date in Workday and in GLACIER.  In addition, if they are a nonresident alien for tax purposes for calendar years 2020 or 2021, they should complete the Statement for Services Performed Outside the U.S. for each year, which will allow the university to exempt them from paying or reporting their income for U.S. taxation in tax year during which they are outside the U.S.  The individual will be responsible for taxes owed to their home country.

New Student Employment

The university will not be able to hire new student employees who have not previously held employment that are outside the United States.

New Faculty and Staff Employment

The ability for a department to hire a new faculty or staff member who has not previously been employed by the university will be determined on a case by case basis.  Departments should consider whether another individual could perform this same work and if this employment fills a critical business need.  If the department decides to move forward with hiring a worker outside the United States, their dean or VP should contact Texas Global to discuss the legal review required, feasibility based on legal review, timeline and potential costs.

Receiving Payments through Payroll

Individuals with a U.S. Bank Account

  • If the employee has a U.S. bank account, the employee can receive payment via direct deposit.  
  • New employees can follow the standard process for setting up Payment Elections in Workday.
  • An employee who completed the Direct Deposit Declaration while in the U.S. should review to ensure the declaration is still accurate.  
  • An individual who indicates in their Direct Deposit Declaration that they will transfer 100% of their funds to a bank outside the U.S. will not be permitted to receive payroll payment via direct deposit and should contact Payroll Service for further guidance.                                                                                                                                                            

Individuals without a U.S. Bank Account

  • Payroll payments to individuals living outside the United States who do not have a U.S. bank account will be made via international wire transfer.
  • If an employee working outside the U.S. does not have a U.S. bank account, the department should contact Payroll Services to request payment be made via international wire transfer.
  • Employees will be required to complete an Authorization for International Wire Transfer form.  In this form, employees will designate their foreign banking information, certify its accuracy, and authorize the University to use a wire transfer for payment purposes.  Upon request, this form will be initiated by Payroll Services in DocuSign.    
  • The department will be responsible for the international wire fee of up to $30 per transaction. The department will be required to provide an account that can be charged this amount as part of the request.
  • Paper checks can be issued to employees working outside the U.S.; however, Payroll Services cannot mail them to an address outside of the U.S.  If the employee would prefer to be paid via paper check, please contact Payroll Services to discuss arrangements

Independent Contractors

Some individuals who have not previously been employed by the university may be eligible to work as an Independent Contractor from outside the United States. Faculty and Student positions are NOT eligible to be Independent Contractors. To determine whether the work being performed qualifies the individual to be paid as an Independent Contractor, a review will be performed. This will include a review of the type of work being performed and whether or not supervision is required, among other factors. The department should contact oa.ic@austin.utexas.edu to determine eligibility before contracting with the individual.


Last updated 5/252021